The Department of Chemistry started in 1957 with B.Sc. degree course. It became a Post Graduate Department in 1984. It is a Research Department since 2000. It offers two Post Graduate degree courses in Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry. The Department celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2007. The Department has produced several eminent scientists contributing to the cause of science nationally and internationally. The department became DST-FIST sponsored Department in 2005.