The Department of English was established in 1952, the year of the inception of the college. It started offering M.A. in English Language and Literature in 1966, and B.A. in English Language and Literature in 1967. The Department was recognized as a Research Department in 1985. Comparative Literature Research and Study Centre (CLRSC) started functioning in 1998. A certificate Course in Communicative English was being offered in the department since 1995. In 2006, the UGC sanctioned two Add- On Courses: ‘ Communucative English ‘ and ‘Visual Communication’, which are now being conducted by the Department.
The Department offers the following programmes:
- B.A. English Language and Literature
- M.A. English Language and Literature
- Ph.D in English
- Open Course in Semester V for degree students
- Add-On Courses:
- Communicative English, since 2006
- Visual Communication, since 2006
English Literary Association
The English Literary Association comprises of the teachers and students of the Postgraduate Department of English. The Association aims at the overall development of the students, fostering brotherhood, promoting healthy competitive spirit and engaging in charitable activities.